KIDS in the GAME’s Mission
KIDS in the GAME is investing in the future of youth sports by providing the opportunity for low-income and marginalized youth to get in the game.
We do this by covering a portion of their registration fees for recreational after-school sports, which is breaking down the barriers that are keeping 62% of kids on the sidelines*.
*The number one reason kids are not playing is financial.
There are many reasons kids are on the sidelines today. Our kids, families, and communities are feeling the impact from school budget cuts, too much screen time, increase in registration dues, and the professionalization of youth sports.
What happens when all kids get the chance to play youth sports:
- They learn to, “try your best;” to perform well together, problem solve as a team, and to win and lose together.
- They learn personal growth through practice, participation, and repetition.
- They get an opportunity for respectful mentoring from an adult or peer leader, other than their family.
- Communities are strengthened as families, schools, and peers rally around youth programs, collaborating and helping out.
- Problems and costs related to childhood obesity go down.
- They feel a boost in self-esteem, confidence, and direct social connection
- They discover newfound abilities, build confidence, and a grow their desire to be physically active in life.
Too many kids are growing up without PE and athletics.
Less than 24% of kids are active to CDC Standards.
Kids need at least an hour a day of moderate physical activity most days of the week.
9 Million kids are completely inactive in the United States.
They need more than one or two options available so they can find an activity that’s engaging. We must encourage sport sampling and encourage kids to be multi-sport athletes.
Why is this important? — for them and everyone?
- Obesity rates have TRIPLED in the last 30 years.
- Getting into the habit of being active means better lifelong health
- 45% of kids are kinesthetic learners – they learn through movement! – Kids are born to play!
- Daily activity and activity breaks improves academic performance and focus.
- Activity boosts mental outlook and helps kids build resiliency, improving their mental health.
- It means reducing the high costs of youth misconduct and obesity.
Money is the biggest barrier in youth sports.
- Sports participation is lowest in households with low incomes.
- Girls sports participation is even lower for low income families.
Let ‘Em Play
Check out our Programs
Success in sports should focus on what kids want to take away from the experience.
We believe the future in youth sports is Sport Sampling, kids trying various sports and connecting to the activity/sport that creates a lifelong passion to be active.
Our sponsors, donors, and partners are behind KIDS in the GAME’s mission that Every Kid Deserves A Chance To Play through our programs:
- Pass Program *— We pay youth sports registration fees! When a kid qualifies for Free & Reduced Lunch, they qualify for The PASS.
- AMPED – is a morning running program designed to get kids moving and prime their brains for learning. AMPED comes in ONE easy to pack, roll, and setup kit with 2 Bluetooth Speakers, Silicone necklaces and small and big charms. We provide supplies and support for 3 years!